Almost anything in life can slide downhill from good to bad. There is nothing inherently wrong with food, money, television or social media but we all know things can get out of balance. We live in a world with addictive substances and some of us are genetically predisposed to those weaknesses. Old habits can be hard to break.
God’s word makes it clear that we can live in victory. We are more than conquerors. God leads us in triumph! Here are 5 ways to triumph over addictive habit patterns:
- Focus on victory one day at a time – Jesus taught us to pray by asking for our daily bread. Don’t worry about forever, next year or next month- trust God with today!
- Focus on God’s power not your power – Willpower isn’t enough but with God’s power working in you and his strength to rely on you can do it!
- Focus on what you want- not what you don’t want – When you spend your time thinking about what you don’t want to do, that negative thing becomes your focus. You will move toward what you focus on. Instead, fill your mind with positive thoughts and spend your time doing life-giving things
- Focus on doing good not feeling good – It’s always easier to act your way into a feeling than to feel your way into an action. Do the right thing and your feelings will catch up.
- Focus on the people who will help you make positive changes – Recovery is relationship based. Surround yourself with people who will walk with you and cheer you on toward freedom
Weekly Challenge: Live in victory TODAY!
2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ..
Romans 8:37…we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.