The ocean danced and colors exploded on the horizon. My fantastic new super-polarized sunglasses cut out the glare and gave me crystal clear vision. That’s what we want to do with this series of messages, No Strings Attached. We want to help you see life through the lens of God’s favor.
We have declared 2016 as the Year of the Lord’s Favor
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18-19
Favor means to look upon with grace, acceptance, pleasure, pleasantness, kindness and beauty. It entails a desire to benefit, to give gifts and be generous.
God is the source of all goodness. (James 1:17) There are aspects of his favor that benefit everyone – favor that is common to all mankind.
This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. Matthew 5:45 MSG
All the good in our lives, all the beauty, all the joy, all the gifts, all the benefits come from God, whether we realize it or not.
God is the giver of the greatest gifts.
- Creation with its majestic sunsets, intoxicating mountain peaks and restful rhythms of waves on the shore is a gift of his grace.
- Nurturing relationships with family and the beauty of friendship are a gift of his grace.
- Our innate sense of right and wrong, conscience and moral code testify to God’s existence and are a gift of his grace.
- The complexity and harmony of the principles that govern the universe and the wisdom to understand those laws are a gift of his grace.
- You are the wondrously unique person you are because of his favor on you. Your own talents and abilities are a gift of God’s grace.
God’s common favor is favor for all. It enriches the lives of everyone. It is his common favor that leads us to his miraculous favor and his saving grace.